A Citizen Advocate is a valued citizen, who is unpaid and independent of human services, who creates a relationship with a person who is at risk of social exclusion. The citizen advocate chooses one or several of many ways to respond to and represent that person's interests as if they were the advocate's own, thus bringing the partner's gifts and concerns into the circles of ordinary community life.
Examples of Involvement
- Act vigilantly in times of medical emergencies or crises.
- Serve as representative payees for protégés, thereby ensuring their financial affairs are properly managed.
- Petition the court system on behalf of protégés.
- Support a child in the public school system.
- Help a young adult find a job.